2013 was a year bookended by a beginning and an end for Greg and I. Beginning of our new life in Costa Rica, and the end to Greg’s Dad’s wonderful life. The year began with both of us leaving our jobs in May. We then moved to Costa Rica in June, and attended Dad’s funeral shortly thereafter – he died 3 days after we had arrived in Costa Rica.
Even with our Dad passing away, it was truly a great year for us – the “beginning of the rest of our lives”, really. Here’s a few of my favorite moments from 2013.
1. Last day of work party! It felt great to quit my job, but I must say I kinda liked my job and these people I worked with for the past 17 years! (And no, I didn’t work with Greg, he was just invited to my going away party).
2. Spending time with my sweet Mom in Wisconsin before our departure to Costa Rica:
3. The “start of the rest of our lives” – in the driveway in Dallas at the Seymour’s house mid-June… all packed up with our entire life in 9 suitcases, ready to head to the airport:
4. 3 days after arriving in Costa Rica… Greg’s Dad passed away. Even though we were terribly sad to lose him, in a certain way – it was OK. It was his time to go, and we were all prepared for him dying (as much as one can be). We found ourselves back in Dallas, to celebrate the life of a TRULY great man. Best Dad #2 I ever had.
5. Getting back to Costa Rica, we were introduced to all the amazing fruit – growing naturally, in our own backyard! The fruit is one of the best things here, and our backyard was gorgeous – we had coffee out by the pool every morning with our neighbors:
6. One of the best decisions I ever made – deciding to go to yoga up the street from me. The yoga class is wonderful, but the friendship I’ve developed with Justa (the instructor) has been the most rewarding:
7. Hiking off the beaten path soon became a daily activity for us… up the hill from our house, in the coffee fields and beyond:
8. Of course I have to include some foodie moments from 2013:
9. And some of my own homemade food, this was definitely a highlight of 2013 for me, learning to make several things from scratch:
10. Visiting the Catarata Del Toro – the biggest waterfall in Costa Rica, was amazing and breath taking:
11. We visited Manuel Antonio for a short weekend, and had the most wonderful time with our friends Justa & Steve – it was so cool seeing monkeys and sloths, and just hanging out at the beach:
12. Here’s a few other favorite things we do in our spare time – blogging, baking, photography…
13. However, the very best part of my 2013 year? My Greg.
Here’s to discovering a whole ‘nother year in Costa Rica – who knows what 2014 will bring!
Ciao! — Jen